The Oconomowoc Area School District provides transportation for students who reside within the district’s boundaries under provisions of Wisconsin laws and regulations and in accordance with Board Policy 751 and Board Regulation 751-R (1). For more detailed information, please reference the Board Policy and related Regulation.
- Eligibility for district provided transportation services is determined as follows:
- Transportation shall be provided for all residents living two or more miles from their school of attendance;
- Transportation shall be provided for all resident students living in areas of unusual hazard as officially designated by the local law enforcement authority of designee;
- Children with disabilities shall be transported in accordance with state law; and
- Private school students shall be transported in accordance with state law.
Ineligible resident students may request a parent contract with the district providing the bus does not leave its normal bus route and there is adequate room on the bus. In the event that an overload occurs as the year progresses, the last ineligible student added to the bus list will be the first taken off. Payment in full for this service must be made before the student will be permitted to ride the bus.
- Bus routes are established annually based upon an electronic database of students, school schedules, and routes utilizing specialized software. Routes are established to maximize efficiency, ensure student safety, adhere to state laws and Board policy, and optimize cost effectiveness.
- Pick up points are established using the following criteria: (a) bus capacity, (b) number of students, (c) distance to pick-up points without substantially extending student time on the bus, and (4) concern for student safety and traffic conditions. Students may be required to walk up to .5 of a mile to an established bus stop. Pick up points will typically be established at intersection locations within each subdivision considering the various criteria noted above.
- Subject to the one-way walking distance noted above, buses will not be routed on dead-end streets, cul du sacs, or courtyards unless a hazardous walking condition exists and then only if an adequate and safe turnaround area for the bus exists.
- Students not riding the bus for three consecutive days will be considered a non-rider.
- A student eligible for transportation may be picked up and dropped off at a point other than at or near the student’s residence if the alternate stop is within the student’s school attendance area, the alternate stop is used daily, and space is available on the bus without additional cost to the district.
- The legal responsibility of the District is transporting students to and from school is limited to providing services to their legal residence. The District is not obligated to provide student transportation to and/or from locations other than the residence of a student. However, in recognition of the contemporary need for child care services, the Board authorizes transportation to and/or from a location other than the student’s residence subject to criteria listed above.
- Parents – Please make sure you child knows their route number so they are able to find their bus on the return trip to home from school. Route numbers will be displayed next to the bus entrance door.
- Please be aware that your child's bus route information is subject to change. Please re-check your child's bus route information in the database a few days before school begins.
- Parochial students who ride the High School buses should know which route they ride when arriving at the High School. Parents of Parochial students, please make sure your child has the route number on a piece of paper so they don’t forget their High School route.
We recommend that you allow at least ten minutes (and no less than 5 minutes) before and after the published pick-up and drop-off times, to accommodate variations in travel conditions along the route. For example, if the pick-up time is listed as 8:00 a.m., you should expect the school bus to be at that stop as early as 7:50 a.m. or as late as 8:10 a.m.
- If you are unable to find your bus information using the on-line system, please contact Oconomowoc Transport Company at 920-355-4040 for assistance.
- Please make sure your KINDERGARTEN child knows his or her phone number and address. Please pin his/her name, address, phone number and bus route number to his/her shirt or backpack. To help alleviate many of the fears associated with the bus ride home, take your child for a car ride and have your child point out his/her house and become familiar with neighbor surroundings.
We hope you'll find this service convenient and easy to use. By following a few easy steps, you'll be able to determine your child's school bus 'morning pick-up' location and time, and 'afternoon drop-off' location and time. View your bus route information by logging into your Family Access account and choosing the District Links/Bus Route Lookup.
Enter your phone number when prompted for user ID and password. The phone number format is: 123456789. Click here to get to the Family Access Login page.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Oconomowoc Transport at 920-355-4040.
- Talk quietly; follow the same conduct as in the classroom
- Be courteous, respect others and their belongings
- Obey the driver
- The bus driver can assign seats, if he or she feels it is necessary
- Remain seated at all times
- Do not fight, push, or shove
- Keep all body parts in the bus at all times
- No eating or drinking on the bus
- Keep the bus clean
- No obscene, profane, offensive, or abusive language
- Do not be destructive
- No tobacco products, e-cigs, vapor pens, lighters or matches
- No skateboards, snowboards, sleds, fishing poles
- No firearms/weapons of any kind, including look-alike (guns, knives, sharp objects)
- No video and/or audio recording of bus driver and other students
- No taking photographs of bus driver and other students
Oconomowoc Transport Company, Inc., provider of student transportation for the Oconomowoc Area School District, is seeking qualified school bus drivers.
Paid training will be provided to qualified candidates.
Multiple positions are available. Click here for more information.