WELCOME TO OCONOMOWOC HIGH SCHOOL!
At Oconomowoc High School (OHS), our staff members are committed to creating authentic and meaningful learning experiences that prepare our students for whatever post-high school pathway they choose. For example:
- We are one of the only schools in the area giving our students the opportunity to experience a rigorous college preparatory curriculum through Advanced Placement classes and the highly prestigious International Baccalaureate Curriculum.
- We had 13 graduates from the Oconomowoc High School class of 2018 commit to serving our country in the US Armed Forces.
- We continue to offer site-based learning experiences where students receive credit and job-related experience. This includes our well-established Building Trades program, where students help construct an entire home in partnership with Tim O’Brien Homes; our on-site greenhouse and 76-acre school farm, where students can learn about or enhance their current agricultural experience; and project-based learning opportunities that allow students to work hand-in-hand with local business owners, to attain work-based experience.
- We offer opportunities for students to connect with other students and cultures across the world. These opportunities include offering students language-based exchange programs in Germany, Martinique, China, and Peru. Also, students can participate in learning-based experiences by studying sustainability and energy consumption in Iceland, Germany, and the Netherlands, and research history through our Sister City Exchange in Dietzenbach, Germany.
The opportunities at OHS are endless, and there indeed is something for everyone!
For the 2018-19 school year, we are introducing 12 new courses which will include additional art courses, extensions of our math programming to include Calculus 3, and a Global Sustainability course. Other unique course options are:
- Advanced CNC Manufacturing: students will learn the essential skills necessary to understand 21st-century manufacturing operations including experiences operating a CNC lathe and mill.
- Advanced Placement Computer Science: introduces students to creative aspects of computer programming, abstractions, algorithms, large data sets, the internet, cybersecurity, and computing.
- Introduction to Leadership: helps students develop the skills and strategies necessary to be a successful leader, including providing students with the opportunity to improve their ability to inspire others, challenge processes, enable and encourage others to act with heart, and model productive and positive behaviors.
In the 2018-19 school year, we are opening our new OHS East Campus facility, housed at the former Wilkinson Clinic building. This location allows us to create flexible learning spaces for our growing school community and provides our students with state-of-the-art learning facilities focused on the sciences and media development and design.
In the summer of 2018, we also remodeled all of our Technical Education classroom spaces inside OHS Main Campus. To respond to our community’s need for skilled workers and to honor our commitment to authentic learning experiences, we have expanded our Fabrication Lab and remodeled our machining, engineering, and Building Trades classrooms. Also, we have built a state-of-the-art Automotive Lab for classes starting in the 2019-2020 school year.
You Can’t Hide that Ocon Pride!
Our motto at OHS is “Ocon Pride,” and our staff and students understand that we represent our entire community across the state of Wisconsin. Our athletic teams participate in the highly competitive Classic 8 conference and our co-curricular programs such as the Future Farmers of America, Future Business Leaders of America, and CooneyTech Robotics Team, have traveled locally and nationally to participate in competitions that highlight all the hard work of our students and faculty advisors.
Building on a Tradition of Excellence
As we chart our path forward, we recognize that we are building upon the unique visions and experiences of the teachers, administrators, and students that have come before us. Our staff understands that we have a very short window of time to impact our current student body, and together we are working tirelessly to ensure our more than 1,700 students graduate prepared to face the challenges of our ever-changing world.
Prospective students, alumni, and community members are always welcome to tour our facilities and see our programs in action. Please contact Jason Curtis, Principal of Oconomowoc High School, at CurtisJ@oasd.org or (262)-560-3101 to set up your tour today!