The Global Scholars Program
ABOUT THE Global Scholars Program
All students at Oconomowoc High School (OHS) are invited to participate in The Global Scholars Program. This program encourages students to enroll in classes with global content in the arts, sciences, and humanities to prepare globally competent students who are career-ready.
The program requires four components: curriculum, cultural literacy, co-curricular/ schools sponsored activities, and a service-learning project, all of which must have a global focus.
Students who participate in the certificate program will distinguish themselves from their peers by their maturity and deep understanding of the world and global issues when competing in the college admissions process and the workplace.
Global Scholars Program Requirements
Component 1: Curriculum
- World language coursework: At least 4 years/credits in a single world language (or the equivalent when this is not available).
- Additional coursework: At least 4 credits of coursework with a global focus, which may include courses on:
- International economics, business, or marketing
- International or foreign affairs
- World/non-U.S. history
- World geography
- Comparative cultures, religions
- Science, technology courses with global application/perspective
- Second world language (at least 1 year)
- Literature of another country, region, or culture
- Music, drama, and visual arts with an international perspective
Component 2: Cultural Literacy
- Independent reviews/reflection on at least eight (8) works of international/cultural media
- Mandatory reflection on four (4) books
- Reflections may include international/cultural media such as films, music, theater, and art exhibitions
Component 3: Activities with a Global Focus
- Demonstrate interest in global citizenship through active participation and leadership in at least four (4) co-curricular and other school-sponsored or endorsed activities in grades 9-12.
Component 4: Community Service
- Complete a global/cross-cultural public service project, involving at least twenty (20) hours of work, connected to a global community (different from his/her own) or to a global issue.
OHS COURSES AVAILABLE FOR THE Global Scholars Program
EXAMPLES OF GLOBALLY-FOCUSED EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES CURRENTLY OFFERED AT OHS