Help us celebrate our Oconomowoc High School seniors with #OconPride 2020!
The COVID-19 pandemic and school closures have significantly changed the senior experience for the class of 2020. Despite the challenges of the past few months, our senior class has so much to be proud of, and our community is ready to celebrate their individual and collective accomplishments!
As we make plans for the end of the year, it will be hard to continue some of our long-standing traditions that celebrate the senior class. While the events and traditions this year may look different, we have planned many virtual and socially distanced celebrations to recognize our amazing Raccoons in the class of 2020. You can also read more from Mr. Curtis on the Updates from OHS Blog.
Celebrating the Class of 2020
Our seniors will receive their yard sign to kick-off our #OconPride2020 celebrations. Families of our seniors will also receive a gold light bulb for their front porch or a lamp by a front window. We hope they'll shine their gold lights while the City of Oconomowoc shines purple lights to celebrate our seniors.
Community Celebrations Starting in May:
- The City of Oconomowoc and Oconomowoc Utilities are supporting our seniors by shining purple lights on several downtown landmarks - the roundabout, clock tower, downtown, and the Village Green
- Businesses throughout Oconomowoc will be displaying a sign to show support and encouragement for our seniors.
- Banners celebrating our seniors will be displayed at the roundabout, Village Green, and near OHS.
May 25 - June 13: Senior Art Display Downtown
What: A display of artwork by our OHS seniors
Where: Downtown Oconomowoc, in the windows of the former May's Garden Center
Saturday, May 30 & Sunday, May 31: A Tribute to the Students of the Class of 2020
What: There are a lot of surprises for our OHS Class of 2020 debuting this weekend!
- Senior Tribute Signs on Campus: Beginning May 30th, drive around OHS Main Campus to look at the individualized Senior Tribute Signs for each member of the senior class.
- Stars on the Village Green: Stars have been painted on the grass in the Village Green downtown - one star for each member of the senior class! Thank you to the City of Oconomowoc and the volunteers who helped make this tribute possible.
- Clock Tower Tunes Music Series on May 30 and 31, from 12:15 p.m. - 3:00 p.m: The clock tower in downtown Oconomowoc will feature the OHS Wind Symphony performing the Carnegie Hall concert they were not able to perform this year.
- Purple Lights Shining Downtown: Take a drive through downtown to see the trees and clock tower shining with purple lights in celebration of our seniors. Thank you to Oconomowoc Utilities and the City of Oconomowoc for supporting these tributes!
Where: OHS & Downtown Oconomowoc
Monday, June 1: OHS Spring Sports Senior Night
When: 7:00-9:00 p.m.
What: Drive-thru senior spring athletes celebration where senior's banners will be displayed, the athletic field lights will be on, and the video boards running.
Where: Entrance and exit locations will be identified, banners will be placed on the Rux Stadium North end fence
Community Food Drive:Please bring two non-perishable food items per car to donate. Drop off bins will be available when you arrive
Tuesday, June 2: Performing Arts Senior Drive of Fame
When: 5:00-7:00 p.m.
What: A special tribute to our Class of 2020 musicians, thespians, and singers! Join us at OHS for a special drive-thru celebration.
Monday, June 8: Future Selfie Day!
What: Seniors take a photo with a shirt, logo, or note highlighting their next journey in life.
Where: Right at home. Families could decorate their front door, use sidewalk chalk, or create a sign - be creative! Then take a photo of your senior and share it on social media with #OconPride2020
Tuesday, June 9: Cap and Gown Pick Up & Chromebook Return - Raccoon Style
What: A drive-thru cap and gown pick up where seniors will also get any awards they've earned along with some special mementos to celebrate their time at OHS.
Where: OHS Main Campus
Next: After cap and gown pick up, seniors should drive to OHS East Campus to return their Chromebooks.
- Bakkum (Last Names: A-Fe) from 9:00-11:00 a.m.
- Fisher (Last Names: Fi-Kr) from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Verhagen (Last Names: Ks-Ro) from 2:00-4:00 p.m.
- Black (Last Names: Ru-Z) from 4:30-6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, June 10: Ocon Pride Live! A Livestreamed Community-Wide Celebration
What: On what would have been the last day of school, the entire community is invited to tune in for a live-streamed celebration to recognize each member of the class of 2020.
When: 7:30 - 9:30 p.m.
Where: Right at home. Click here to access the Livestream celebration
Thursday, June 11: Honk and Wave at a Senior
What: Families are invited to join their senior in their front yard while they wear their cap, gown and regalia. Then friends, neighbors, and community members are invited to drive past our seniors, honking and waving to celebrate their accomplishments.
When: 7:00 - 7:30 p.m.
Where: Right at home
Friday, June 12: Raccoon Family Night!
What: We encourage families to take the evening of June 12 to celebrate their graduates. Whatever your family traditions are, we encourage you to enjoy time together with family. Feel free to wear your purple and gold and share a photo using #OconPride2020
When: Any time
Where: Right at home
Saturday, June 13: Class of 2020 Recognition Day
What: This would have been the day of our traditional Commencement Ceremony and we'll be honoring our seniors with several events.
- 10:20 a.m. - Bells across Oconomowoc will ring for a few minutes in honor of the Class of 2020
- 10:30 a.m.- Virtual Name Announcement and Recognition Ceremony
- We will conduct a virtual name reading ceremony, check back for a link to the virtual ceremony
- 12:00 p.m.- Senior Car Parade Through OHS Main Campus
- OHS staff will line Stadium Drive to wave good-bye to our seniors. Please enter through Forest Avenue and remember that everyone must remain in their cars and cannot stop during the parade.
Saturday, August 1: Rescheduled Commencement Ceremony, 9:00 a.m. (tentative start time)
At this point, we are optimistic that we will be allowed to conduct some sort of in-person graduation ceremony on Saturday, August 1. While we will likely have to adapt the event to comply with physical distancing guidelines and offer several smaller ceremonies rather than one large celebration. This will also allow students and families the opportunity to share in the moment of hearing their name called as they collect their diploma at Rux Stadium.
If we are not able to offer this kind of ceremony, we are considering options like a drive-thru celebration or a virtual ceremony. Hopefully, all these events scheduled in June will provide everyone with a sense of closure, with the ceremony serving as an optional way to recognize your accomplishment formally. We plan to announce the style of ceremony and additional details the week of July 20 at the latest.