OCON Virtual Learning Community
The Oconomowoc Area School District (OASD) is excited to introduce the Oconomowoc Virtual Learning Community (OVLC) as one of the educational options for students in the 2020-21 school year. Our District continues to listen to the feedback from families, and we understand the need families have to support their children in entirely virtual settings as a result of the current pandemic. We believe the OVLC will meet this need for families, both in response to COVID-19 and long-term, as families determine the most flexible educational environment for their children.
Meet the OVLC Staff for Grades 7-12
Meet the OVLC staff for grades 7-12 and learn more about the daily schedule and experience
Request to Move Between OVLC & In-Person School
The OASD launched the Ocon Virtual Learning Community (OVLC) at the start of the 2020-21 school year to provide families an alternative option to in-person learning in our school buildings amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
When we launched this new program, we planned several transition times throughout the year when students could move from in-person learning into the OVLC or vice versa. These transition times align with the semester for high school students and the trimester for intermediate and elementary students. To maintain appropriate and consistent staffing for both the OVLC and in-person learning, we are not able to move students at any other time during the school year.
Grades 9-12: Deadlines for 2nd Semester:
- Deadline to complete this form requesting a transfer into or out of OVLC = EXTENDED to January 15, 2021, at noon
- First day of 2nd Semester = January 20, 2021
- OHS Families: Complete this online form to request a move between OVLC and OHS
Grades 4K-8: Deadlines for 3rd Trimester:
- Deadline to complete this form requesting a transfer into or from the OVLC = 4:00 p.m. on February 17, 2021
- Intermediate & Elementary Families: Complete this online form to request a move between OVLC and an intermediate or elementary school
- OVLC Administrators will email families of students moving into the OVLC during the week of February 22. This email will include the following:
- The process for picking up personal belongings at your school building
- How to return learning materials that will not be needed within the OVLC
- An introduction to the OVLC process for all new students, this introduction will occur the first week of March
- First day of 3rd Trimester = March 1, 2021
2021-2022 OVLC Program Planning Guide
The OASD is excited to continue to offer the Oconomowoc Virtual Learning Community (OVLC) as an option for OASD students in grades 5-12 during the 2021-2022 school year.
As part of the 2021-2022 course registration process at both Oconomowoc High School and our intermediate schools, we will be asking families to indicate their preference to have their child learning within the OVLC for the next school year.
We understand it may be difficult to decide the best educational option for the next school year while we’re still in the midst of the current public health challenges. While some families chose the OVLC in 2020-21 primarily for health safety reasons, we recommend families make this decision going forward based on which educational model will be most conducive to their child’s long-term academic, social, and emotional success.
As families contemplate this decision for the 2021-2022 school year, it may help to think about what student attributes typically align with success in virtual learning environments. The following are traits typical of successful virtual learners:
- Student craves flexibility when they learn, how they learn, and what they learn
- Student thrives in an independent learning environment
- Student is technologically savvy
- Student is driven to succeed academically
- Student has supports in place within their home environment when learning issues arise
Families should refer to the OVLC 2021-2022 Program Planning Guide for more specific information on registration, course offerings, policies, and other essential details that will be in place for the 2021-2022 school year.
Important 2021-22 Preliminary OVLC Registration Information
To confirm you would like to register your child for the OVLC in the 2021-2022 school year, please log into Skyward Family Access.
- Log into Skyward Family Access, click on the "Online Forms" tab located on the page's left-hand side.
- When you enter the “Online Forms” page, select “2021-2022 Preliminary OVLC Registration” to complete the process.
- Please complete this form separately for each child entering grades 5-12 who would like to attend the OVLC next school year.
- Upon completing the 2021-22 Preliminary OVLC Registration form, school personnel will contact students and their families to determine a 2021-2022 OVLC schedule.
OVLC Registration Deadlines
We are asking families to register for OVLC early in the year so that high school and intermediate students can accurately complete the course selection process that always occurs in January or February for the next school year. The deadlines are:
- Friday, January 22, 2021: OHS families are required to complete the 2021-22 Preliminary OVLC Registration form through Skyward Family Access by this date.
- Friday, February 5, 2021: Nature Hill and Silver Lake Intermediate families are required to complete the 2021-22 Preliminary OVLC Registration form through Skyward Family Access by this date.
Families who miss this deadline might still be able to register for OVLC during the summer 2021 online registration process; however, course availability and schedules will be impacted by selecting OVLC at this late date. OVLC grade-levels might also be at capacity after the deadlines above. Families who complete this preliminary registration form will still be required to complete the full 2021-2022 online registration process in summer 2021 but will already have a place reserved within the OVLC.
It is important to note that face-to-face course availability could also be affected for those students who select the OVLC now but then decide to remove their student from OVLC during the summer 2021 online registration process.
While the OASD intends to provide the OVLC as an option for the 2021-22 school year, the operation of the OVLC will be contingent on enrollment. If OVLC enrollment is minimal for the 2021-22 school year, the District may request registered OVLC students return to their in-person schools. Families would be notified of this decision no later than August 15, 2021.
OVLC registration information for high school students was emailed to families on January 5, 2021, and will be emailed to intermediate families later in January and will be included within 2021-2022 intermediate course selection information.
If you have questions about the OVLC, please contact one of the administrators below. Thank you for your support of the OASD.
Director of Curriculum & Instruction
OVLC 9-12 Department Chair
OVLC 5-8 Administrator
Silver Lake Intermediate Principal
Nature Hill Intermediate Principal
Oconomowoc High School Principal
About the OVLC
The OVLC is structured as part of the OASD, not an OASD Charter School. Students who enroll in the OVLC will continue to be part of the OASD and can participate in OASD co-curricular activities or athletics. Students will also have the opportunity to transition between settings at designated points in the school year if they find the educational environment is no longer conducive to their academic or social development.
OVLC Program Planning Guide
This Program Planning Guide is designed to support families as they decide if the OVLC is the right fit for their children. This document will continue to change as the OVLC team finalizes program details leading up to the start of the 2020-21 school year.
You can learn more about the OVLC and see some of the resources our teachers use by clicking these links:
OVLC Family Newsletter
Use the links below to view the weekly Ocon Virtual Learning Community newsletters for OVLC families.
OVLC 4K-6th Grade e-Newsletter
OVLC 7th-12th Grade e-Newsletter
The OASD Technology and Innovation Department provides guidance and technology support for district staff and families.
TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION WEBSITE
The Technology & Innovation website is filled with information, videos, tutorials, and instructions on:
- Common Tech Solutions - to use when troubleshooting a technology problem
- How to generate a pairing code
- Overview for parents and students
- How to use Canvas as a parent and as a student
- Logging in to Canvas
- And much more!
- Google Apps
- How to use Google Meet/Hangout
- How to organize your Google Drive
- Using Gmail
- Google Classroom Tutorial Videos
- Google Read & Write
- Device Information
- Using a Chromebook
- Using video programs like Flipgrid, Zoom, and Screencastify
- Elementary Technology
- Using Classlink
- Using Seesaw
- And much more!
- Library Resources
- Technology Tools
- Edgenuity Student Learning Experience video
OASD TECHNOLOGY HELP DESK
If you are having technology trouble or have questions about some of the common learning tools your child is using, please visit the Technology & Innovation website linked above. The website is filled with videos, step-by-step instructions, documents, and links to help families.
You can also contact the Help Desk at:
The Help Desk is staffed during school hours. If you have trouble or need assistance during non-school hours, please check the Technology & Innovation website for information or please email or call the Help Desk. Emails and voicemails will be returned the next school day.