Welcome OHS 2021 Freshmen
From OHS Principal, Jason Curtis
Hi Raccoons in the OHS Class of 2025!
I hope you feel a sense of energy and excitement as you get ready to begin your high school journey! However, I know you and your parents must have a million questions. It’s natural to have some unease as you head into this new chapter in your life. Trust that our entire team stands ready to support you through this transition. Outlined below are several important dates and events that are designed to help make sure the next few months go smoothly. Check them out and feel free to call our office at 262-560-3109 or email me at CurtisJ@oasd.org if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you at our Family Dinners this August and at all the events we have planned this summer.
Freshmen Raccoon Family Dinners: OHS Tailgate Zone/Main Cafeteria
- All Freshmen are invited to small group Raccoon Family Dinners to learn more about the start of the school year and meet the OHS team that will be by your side these next four years. You are welcome to bring your whole family! These 90-minute meetings are designed to:
- Introduce you to Mr. Curtis, your Associate Principal, your Counselor, and OHS upperclassmen.
- Learn about the routines and structures at OHS.
- Allow you the opportunity to walk your schedule and see your classrooms.
- We suggest you sign up for one of the designated Raccoon Family Dinners with your specific counselor. However, if you have conflicts, feel free to review the offerings by the other counselors and select a time and date that is convenient for your family. Sign-ups are available below:
- Mr. Scott Bakkum (Last Names Starting with A-D)— Click on one of these dates to sign up: Wednesday, August 11 at 7:00 p.m. or Monday, August 16 at 5:30 p.m.
- Mrs. Angela Fisher (Last Names Starting with E-Ka)— Click on one of these dates to sign up: Wednesday, August 11 at 5:30 p.m. or Monday, August 23 at 7:00 p.m.
- Mrs. Susan Verhagen (Last Names Starting with Ke-O)— Click on one of these dates to sign up: Wednesday, August 18 at 7:00 p.m. or Monday, August 23 at 5:30 p.m.
- Mrs. Lauren Black (Last Names Starting with P-Th)— Click on one of these dates to sign up: Monday, August 9 at 7:00 p.m. or Wednesday, August 18 at 5:30 p.m.
- Mrs. Carrie Schultz (Last Names Starting with Ti-Z)— Click on one of these dates to sign up: Monday, August 9 at 5:30 p.m. or Monday, August 16 at 7:00 p.m.
- Additional Opportunity (All Counselors)— Click to sign up: Monday, August 30 at 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday, September 1: YOUR FIRST DAY OF HIGH SCHOOL!
Alright, Raccoons—it’s your first day of school! At OHS, the first day of school is only for our Freshmen. All Freshmen should report to the OHS Gale Douglas Field House by 7:20 a.m. for orientation. Buses operate under the normal schedule. Lunch is on us and there is no need to bring your Chromebook or any materials. Our schedule for the day is as follows:
- Freshmen Welcome Rally (7:20-9:00 a.m.)
- Freshmen Orientation (9:00-11:15 a.m.)
- Class of 2025 Welcome Tailgate (11:15 a.m.-12:00 p.m.)
- Group Scavenger Hunt (12:00-1:00 p.m.)
- Living Our Values: Grounded, Committed, and Accountable (1:00-2:10 p.m.)
- Pep Rally (2:10-2:40 p.m.)
- Dismissal is at 2:40 p.m. and the buses depart at 2:47 p.m.
This day is designed to help you feel confident and ready when your fellow Raccoons join us for our first day of classes on Thursday, September 2.
Friday, September 3: Welcome Back Tailgate
Our first week of school will conclude with our All-School Welcome Back Pep Rally from 2:00-2:40 p.m. Afterward, our Student Council will host a Welcome Back Tailgate in the Raccoon Tailgate Zone leading up to our first home football game of the year vs. Waukesha West.
Sunday, September 26-Saturday, October 2: Homecoming Week
Watch the daily announcements and your email for details on all of our Homecoming traditions. However, please save the date for the Homecoming Parade on Friday, October 1 at 5:15 p.m. and the Homecoming Dance on Saturday, October 2 from 8:00-11:00 p.m.
Tuesday, October 12: Freshmen Day of Service
Our school-wide Career, College, and Life Readiness Day will provide each freshman with the opportunity to begin to explore career interests through a comprehensive all-day service project. More details to come, but save this date on your calendar!