4K in the OASD
Discover the 4K Experience at the OASD
The Oconomowoc Area School District offers outstanding 4K programs at all five of our elementary schools. The OASD 4K program offers:
- A focus on early literacy skills
- Hands-on learning through play
- Development of early math concepts
- Highly qualified teachers and support staff
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) programs at every school
- A half-day 4K program available at all five OASD elementary schools
- Additional child care opportunities through our partnership with the YMCA, so that students can remain at school for the full day
What To expect in OASD 4K
Skills and Focus Areas
Here are some of the skills students will work to master in 4-year-old kindergarten.
Communications Arts & Reading
- Enjoy stories
- Explore books beginning to end
- Participate in large group activities
- Follow directions
- Demonstrate proper book care and library checkout
- Include details in drawing
- Identify letters in their name
- Print name
- Recognize colors
- Rote count accurately
- Recognize the four basic shapes: square, circle, triangle, and rectangle
- Count objects with a 1-to-1 correspondence
- Explore geometry
- Explore measurement
- Recognize numbers 0-to-10
- Recognize, copy, and extend patterns
- Use math vocabulary: more/less, heavier/lighter, next to/behind
- Explore social studies concepts
- Contribute to discussion and activities
- Follow school and classroom rules and routines
Science & Health
- Explore science concepts
- Demonstrate self-help skills
- Throw and catch a playground ball
- Kick a stationary playground ball
- Use a tripod pencil grip
- Use scissors appropriately
- Work cooperatively with others
- Demonstrate self-control
- Respect self, others, and property
- Enjoy friends
Measuring Your Child's Learning Progress
Our staff uses several approaches to measure the learning progress of our 4K students, including:
- Teacher observations
- Daily classroom activities
- Report cards
- Individual student portfolios
How to Get Involved
- Contact your child’s teacher with questions or concerns
- Attend parent/teacher conferences
- Volunteer in your child’s classroom and take part in class field trips
- Participate in classroom parties and in home projects
- Share information about your career or hobbies with your child’s classroom
- Attend school-sponsored programs
- Join your school Parent Teacher Organization (PTO)
About 4K Enrollment
Who Can Enroll in 4K?
- 4K enrollment is for all children starting 4K at an OASD school in the 2022-2023 school year.
- New-to-the-district parents with children who will be four years old on or before September 1, 2022, will receive enrollment information in the mail in early January.
- If you did not receive information, please use the steps above to enroll or click "Our School Locations" above to find the contact information to call your school and request the mailer.
- The Oconomowoc Area School District offers a three-year-old screening program available to those children whose parents have concerns about their child’s development. Parents can call (262) 560-3157 to discuss whether screening is appropriate.
Which School Will My Child Attend?
- Your child’s elementary school is based on the location of your home.
- Visit the District Boundary Map page to confirm the school your child will attend.
- If you have a question about the school your child will attend, please contact Carol Goeller in the OASD Student Services office at 262-560-2155.
OASD 4K Format
- The OASD offers half-day 4K with a morning session from 8:40–11:20 a.m. and an afternoon session from 1:00–3:40 p.m.
- The school will assign students to either the morning or afternoon session and notify families of their session and teacher in August each year.
- Busing services for the OASD are provided by Oconomowoc Transport Company. You’ll learn more about your child’s bus route during the summer online registration process.
Child Care Options Through the YMCA
The OASD partners with the YMCA at Pabst Farms to provide a variety of child care options at our elementary schools. Use these links to learn more:
HOW TO ENROLL IN 4K
Step 1: Which Online Enrollment Link to Use
Families With NO Children Currently Attending an OASD School
Families With an Older Child Currently Enrolled in an OASD School
Step 2: Complete Online Enrollment
- Please complete all of the enrollment steps and online forms.
- You will receive a confirmation email once you've completed the enrollment process.
Step 3: Bring Proof of Residency & Birth Certificate to School
- The OASD requires newly enrolled families to provide proof of residency. Proof of residency documents can include a utility bill, lease agreement with your name and current address, or home ownership documents with your name and current address.
- An original birth certificate is also required and photocopies will not be accepted.
- Please bring your proof of residency document and original birth certificate to your school between 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. on regular school days
- If you’re unable to bring your documents to school during these hours, you can also bring your proof of residency and original birth certificate to Oconomowoc High School, East Campus, 915 E. Summit Avenue, between 7:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, and 7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Fridays.
Step 4: Welcome to the OASD!
- After you've completed the enrollment process, keep an eye on your email for more information on the events we're hosting to introduce you and your child to their new school!
If you have questions about 4K enrollment or the school your child should attend, please contact Carol Goeller at (262) 560-2155.